One of the awesome things about visiting (or living in) Thailand is being able to stay at amazing resorts on the cheap. A couple of weeks ago, Chad, Z, and I re-realized this when we went on a spontaneous trip to Koh Kho Khao. Our destination for our time in Koh Kho Khao was The Sunset Beach Resort.
(**DISCLAIMER: The Sunset Beach Resort did not ask me to review their business, nor was I compensated in any way to write about them. The opinions expressed in this article are all my own. For more about our legal stuff, check out our Disclosure Page**)
The Sunset Beach Resort opened in December 2014 and is located at the end of a long, paved road where the only thing we saw along the way were a couple of tall tsunami escape towers. Koh Kho Khao was decimated in the tsunami of 2004, which made me a little nervous, but knowing that there were except towers to go to made me feel safer. Natural disasters can happen anywhere, it is always good to know the signs and have an emergency plan. But I digress… on to telling you about our awesome time at Sunset Resort!
(To learn more about Koh Kho Khao, check out the recent article written by a fellow Phuket expat on travelfish.org.)
WHAT I LOVED:
There was much to love at The Sunset Resort. To keep this post from becoming ‘War and Peace” I will just share a few things:
- We had booked a Deluxe Balcony Room that was DIVINE! The room was immense with a King size bed (although it felt big enough to be two king beds), a large balcony with rocking chairs, a bathroom with a jacuzzi tub and rain shower, and beautiful dark wood floors. The room also had a safe (although ours did not work, but we really didn’t need one) and two bathrobe’s with matching slippers along with all the other normal hotel/resort amenities. It was immaculately clean and everything seemed brand new.
- We were the only guests at the resort for almost the whole day that we arrived. It was a little eery (I kept thinking of “The Shining”) but the attention and service that we received was fabulous! More people showed up as the evening progressed, but not too many. The massive pools were ours alone for most of the time we stayed there.
- A free buffet breakfast was included with your room. Free food is definitely the way to this travelers heart, and a buffet at that… well, it had me at hello.
- And speaking of food, the open air restaurant was large with comfortable tables and delicious food offered at reasonable prices. We were worried about the prices after we saw that there was nothing around the resort, but we were very pleasantly surprised that the prices of everything we needed.
- The pool was massive and there was also a kiddie pool (with a little slide and a mushroom fountain). We all enjoyed our time swimming around.
- The grounds were beautifully manicured and there was a mini-mart, activity room (darts, table tennis, and pool), and a small playground for the smaller kids.
- This was the first time I have ever been on a Thailand white sand beach that was COMPLETELY deserted. A beautiful beach that we had ALL TO OURSELVES!
- WIFI— that works, that is all I have to say about that.
WHAT I THOUGHT COULD BE BETTER:
I honestly had to really think about this one and could only come up with one thing:
- The ocean looked beautiful from afar, but the water was murky and not clear at all. I have been on other Thai beaches that had much clearer, blue-green water (but those beaches are also packed full of people).
MY FINAL THOUGHTS:
I would highly recommend The Sunset Beach Resort to anyone looking for relaxing fun in the sun. Especially for those with families this is an ideal place for you to stay. So do it! (And make sure to stop by Phuket on your way and say ‘Hi!’)
Now it’s your turn! What do you look for in a weekend getaway? Leave a comment and join in the conversation!
14 comments for “The Sunset Beach Resort, Koh Kho Khao, Thailand”